Here at Paines Plough we’re passionate about bringing great theatre to everyone.
In 2015 we realised that there was a big gap in our programming for people who are D/deaf or hard of hearing. When we thought about programming captioned performances on tour we pictured transporting huge LED screens up and down the country. It felt like a daunting prospect.
So we did some research. We consulted with the teams over at StageText and Digital 4. The following year we fundraised to buy 15 portable individual captioning tablets. We went from 0 to 72 captioned performances in our first year captioning on tour, and have never looked back.
We wanted to make sure that others knew how achievable it all is so we’re running two Captioning on Tour Workshops in Roundabout @ Summerhall this Fringe.
As well as demonstrating everything that a portable closed captioning system has to offer, we will give you a chance to have a go at it yourself, followed by a Q&A looking at sourcing the equipment, integrating captioning into the creative process, communicating with tour venues, and finding the right captioning partner for you.
We’ll be running the workshop twice during the festival:
· 10-11am, Friday 3 August, Roundabout @ Summerhall
· 10-11am, Friday 24 August, Roundabout @ Summerhall
Please RSVP using the form linked below but, in the meantime, please do let us know if you have any questions and feel free to pass this onto anyone else who you feel may benefit or who can share their captioning experience / knowledge.
We’re still learning and would welcome any thoughts on how we can improve this part of our work, we’d love to hear form you.
Throughout the festival Roundabout will host 66 captioned performances:
· All 19 performances of Vinay Patel’s STICKS AND STONES will be captioned.
· All 19 performances of Simon Longman’s ISLAND TOWN will be captioned.
· All 8 performances of Georgia Christou’s HOW TO SPOT AN ALIEN will be captioned.
· BLACKTHORN by Charley Miles will be captioned on 3, 8, 10, 15, 17, 22, 24 Aug.
· TREMOR by Brad Birch will be captioned on 3, 10, 17, 24 Aug.
· SUGAR BABY by Alan Harris will be captioned on 4, 11, 18 Aug.
· DRIP by Tom Wells will be captioned on 22 & 26 Aug.
· ONE LIFE STAND by Eve Nicols will be captioned on 8, 15, 22 Aug.
· ALL WE EVER WANTED WAS EVERYTHING by Luke Barnes will be captioned on 22 Aug.
Hearing Loop, Wheelchair Access