Closing Date: 22 October 2018
Engage, the National Association for Gallery Education
Location: National / International
Proposals are invited for the next issue Engage Journal, Engage 42, which will focus on ethics and activism within gallery education. Deadline for proposals: 10am Monday 22 October 2018
We are interested in contributions from colleagues in the UK and worldwide, reflecting on practices, shifting understandings, discussing polices and the challenges faced in different contexts, in relation to question such as:
• What do artists whose work is campaigning seek from gallery and museum educators?
• What are the challenges for educators in working with artists who make contentious work?
• What tensions arise between institutions and individual gallery educators and artist educators whose mission is to ‘change the world’.
• What responsibilities do public institutions have to engage in ethical debate?
• Which ethical views can public institutions openly promote or campaigns support?
• What responsibilities to galleries and museums have to present a balanced view of contentious topics?
• What tensions arise between the duty to represent artists and a range of artistic commitments, and the duty to serve a diverse public?
• How do museums and galleries balance providing challenging, didactic experiences with visitors’ desire for enjoyment and relaxation, and a resistance to being ‘lectured’?
• What are the issues and sensitivities that can arise when working with diverse communities
• Where do galleries and museums position themselves in relation to schools and the views of parents on ethical issues?
• What policies do galleries and museums put in place to protect their integrity?
• Are there examples of museums and galleries engaging directly in activism?
• Can gallery education be understood as activism?
If you are interested in contributing to this issue, please send an informal proposal of no more than 300 words, your job/freelance title and contact details to email@example.com by 10am on Monday 22 October 2018.
Contributions may take the format of articles, interviews, collaborative pieces, conversations, photo essays or discussions, and Engage welcomes those which take advantage of the Journal’s online format, through the use of audio, film, and html links to digital content. As a guide, final articles lie between 1,500 and 4,000 words.
Proposals deadline: 10am, Monday 22 October 2018
Finished article deadline: 10am, Monday 17 December 2018
Engage 42 will be published in April 2019.
For further information please visit our website.