Closing Date: 7 June 2017
Greenwich and Docklands International Festival
Greenwich and Docklands International Festival (GDIF) is London’s leading festival of free outdoor performing arts, now in its 22nd year. This year’s festival will take place from 23 June to 8 July across different locations in Greenwich and Tower Hamlets. Including Greenwich Park, Cutty Sark, Woolwich, Thamesmead, Eltham, Canary Wharf and Roman road.
Festival Volunteer Role Description
We are looking for 100 enthusiastic volunteers, to make London’s festival of outdoor arts a truly memorable event. We need lots of festival volunteers to ensure our audiences and artists have the best possible experience. If you enjoy meeting new people, being part of a team and being outdoors this is great opportunity for you.
As a Festival Volunteer your role could include the following tasks:
- Helping audience members to find their way around the festival events
- Providing a friendly face to audience members wanting to know more about the festival
- Giving out GDIF programmes and marketing materials
- Fundraising with buckets and collecting audience feedback cards
- Helping in the box office
- Ensuring the festival is accessible to all by recognising and responding to individual’s access needs
- Assisting in setting up performance areas
Additional roles at GDIF
As well as the Festival Volunteer role we have opportunities as Team Leader, Artist Liaison, Access volunteers and Logistics and Warehouse volunteers.
If you have any skills, experience or qualifications in any of these areas please click the box on the application and then explain why you may be suitable for the role. All of our festival volunteers play a really important part in making GDIF great, so if we have more applications than we have positions for the below roles we would still love you to sign up as a Festival Volunteer.
Team Leader – Support the Volunteer Coordinator by leading a team of volunteers on your shift. You will need to delegate tasks to other volunteers, organise lunch breaks, answer volunteer questions and manage fundraising collections.
Artist Liaison –Support the projects administrator and the production mangers; meeting and greeting artists, assisting with the preparation of event paperwork, assisting artists in their local travel to and from sites.
Access Volunteer – GDIF is an accessible event and we need volunteers who have experience of working with or supporting Deaf and disabled people to ensure we remain accessible to all.
Logistics and Warehouse volunteer – We need people to support the warehouse and logistics teams to ensure that all the correct equipment is in the right places in the run up to and throughout the festival.
Requirements for the roles
- It’s great if you can sign up to a minimum of three shifts. This will help us to build cohesive teams during the festival, and you will get more from the experience overall (shift are not necessarily a whole day, often volunteering is spread over the day and evening time)
- You must be 18 years old or over to volunteer
- GDIF prides itself on being an accessible event, and we expect all volunteers to promote and take an active role in ensuring access for all during the event
- We need people that are friendly and outgoing
- It’s great if you have some enthusiasm for the arts and being outdoors
- Able to work as part of a team and take direction from others
What you can expect from GDIF
All volunteers will be given full support and supervision throughout their volunteering period. We provide a festival volunteer induction on 14 June from 6pm – 9pm which all volunteers are strongly encouraged to attend.
We aim to make volunteering with GDIF accessible to all, so if you let us know of any needs you may require support with we will endeavour to accommodate this.
We are happy to reimburse travel and refreshment expenses as a flat £5 or £10 per day. As we are a charity, please request the amount that corresponds with how much you have spent on travel and refreshments.
Sign up to volunteer
You can register to volunteer with us here. We will consider all applications and send out an email by May 19th for you to select shifts.
If you wish to talk to us about the volunteering opportunity at GDIF or need support with filling out the application form then please contact Cleo Ingham on email@example.com or 020 8305 5023.