Closing Date: 20 March 2018
The Multi-Story Orchestra
Remuneration: £28,000 - £30,000
The Multi-Story Orchestra is seeking a full-time Producer. This is an opportunity to lead the work of one of the UK’s most exciting young classical music organisations. Currently resident at Bold Tendencies multi-storey Car Park in Peckham, The Orchestra won a 2015 Royal Philharmonic Society Award for an outstanding initiative to widen access to classical music and has given acclaimed performances as part of the BBC Proms.
It is an exciting time in our development. We are building our programme in and beyond London, and in order to do this we are looking for a Producer who can lead our team. We are a small, friendly organisation and we work in a collaborative way. We are looking for someone who can work closely with our Artistic Directors and board in the strategic development of the organisation.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion in widening access to classical music, a creative, collaborative person who understand the challenges and opportunities of working in a small organisation, someone who is at home producing and delivering complex music events as well as talking to key partners, the orchestra and our audiences.
JOB TITLE: Producer
CONTRACT: Full Time, 2 years (subject to 3 month probationary period) with possibility to extend
IDEAL START DATE: May 2018 – date to be discussed with successful candidate
LOCATION: Home based, Multi-Story does not have an office. Need to be regularly available in London.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 20th March 2018
INTERVIEWS: 28th March 2018 in London
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please click on this link to download the job description and send your CV, including details of 2 referees, and a covering letter explaining why you are interested in the position and what you would bring to the role to Kate Whitley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To lead on the planning and management of Multi-Story’s work alongside the Artistic Directors
LINE MANAGER: Artistic Directors
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Developing project ideas alongside the Artistic Directors
• Researching and establishing budgets
• Planning and overseeing project timelines
• Being the main contact for all partner organisations
• Negotiating and agreeing contractual agreements
• Overseeing orchestral diary management
• Supporting Artistic Directors and Fundraising Manager with fundraising applications
• Other fundraising activities including managing donors and fundraising events
• Producing all Multi-Story events and engagements
• Managing all orchestral technical requirements at both rehearsal and performance venues
• Overseeing production of all events, ensuring compliance with Health and Safety regulations in all aspects of Multi-Story’s work and carrying out appropriate risk assessments.
• Overseeing the work of our freelance Orchestral Manager and any other freelance staff members. This includes providing staff briefings, regular updating meetings, reviewing work and acting as the first point of contact.
• Overseeing marketing and communications including PR, online media, social media
• Acting as an advocate for Multi-Story’s work
• Monitoring budgets and ensuring effective control systems
• Providing financial information including updates of budget and cash flow projections to Artistic Directors as required.
• Ensuring that procedures are in place to capture all data required for evaluating the success of events, providing the Artistic Directors with an analysis of feedback on a regular basis.
• To assist the Artistic Directors in the strategic development of the organisation
• To attend board meetings if required
• To undertake other tasks as required by the Artistic Directors
• Interest in classical music and in widening access to the art form
• Experience in production delivery of live music
• Excellent financial management skills and operational delivery skills
• Experience of managing a heavy and varied workload and delivering independent work
• Experience of leading and managing a small team
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
• High degree of computer literacy
• Flexibility to work evenings and weekends
ABOUT THE MULTI-STORY ORCHESTRA:
The Multi-Story Orchestra presents extraordinary performances in unexpected settings. From car parks to schools and festivals, they create amazing live classical music experiences performed by incredible musicians.
“they play heroically, they play loudly, and they’ll play anything…The response was ecstatic, and it deserved to be” The New York Times.
Winners of a 2016 Royal Philharmonic Society award, the Orchestra has been celebrated as one of the most exciting ensembles to emerge in recent years, and their BBC Proms performances have been widely critically acclaimed:
“joyous and expert music-making” ***** The Times.
They have worked with their major partner Bold Tendencies since 2011, performing at Bold Tendencies’ home in Peckham on the disused top four floors of the municipal car park. The Orchestra performs orchestral and chamber concerts across the summer as well as running workshops and performing with local schools and community groups in Peckham:
“anyone who doubts the value of music education should get themselves down to this concrete jungle and watch its effects in action” The Telegraph.
Beyond London, the Orchestra is currently working in Gloucester, Yorkshire and Birmingham and is supported by The Paul Hamlyn Foundation in expanding around the UK.
The Multi-Story Orchestra promotes diversity and access across all aspects of its work and is committed to supporting equality of opportunity. We encourage applications from individuals currently underrepresented in the arts.