Closing Date: 13 August 2018
Theatre Royal Plymouth
Location: Plymouth, Devon
Remuneration: £10.45 per hour
The Theatre Royal Plymouth (TRP) is the largest and best attended regional producing theatre in the UK and the leading promoter of theatre in the South West. The Theatre offers a comprehensive range of entertainment throughout the year including musicals, plays, opera, ballet, contemporary dance, and modern play writing.
A vacancy has arisen in the House Management Department for a Customer Service Manager who will be responsible for delivering an exceptional Front of House customer experience and ensuring the House teams deliver industry leading customer service for all visitors to TRP on Royal Parade and The Production and Learning Centre (TR2) at Cattedown.
A team of three Customer Service Managers lead the customer service in our public spaces and auditoriums ensuring our buildings are safe and in tip-top condition. Collaboration across the Theatre Royal teams and with visiting artists and companies is vital.
Here is an overview of what you would be doing:
• Ensure a consistent first class standard of customer service throughout the Front of House, Housekeeping, TR2, Volunteer and Stage Door teams
• Be accountable for the presentation and upkeep of front of house and back of house areas during opening hours, carrying out regular checks and ensuring defects are reported and rectified in a timely manner
• Ensure that the appropriate level of information, access and welfare is provided to all visitors
• Participation in the Duty Management rota at Theatre Royal Plymouth and other programmed venues ensuring a highly visible presence for our patrons and visiting companies
• Undertake specific responsibilities for House teams developing good communication and relationships with other members of both the House team and across the Theatre
• Completion of Departmental administration and reports including legal and licensing requirements
• Produce and distribute management and team rotas that reflect the operational needs of the programme to ensure adequate staffing levels are maintained at all times
• Lead the formulation and implementation of customer service training that establishes and maintains an industry leading standard of customer service
• Ensure effective recruitment, induction and development of team members including volunteers so that the House teams are motivated and efficient
• Manage departmental budgets within agreed accounting deadlines including reporting and forecasting
• Follow-up and respond to complaints and feedback in a timely manner amending behaviours and practices where possible to improve customer service
• Prepare and update risk assessments ensuring team members have understood their importance
• Be familiar with licensing, health & safety legislation, fire and emergency procedures and all Theatre Royal policies
• Act as Fire Warden and First Aider after appropriate training
• Prepare for and represent the House team at internal and external meetings communicating content and action points where appropriate
Our Values are at the heart of everything we say and do and our people demonstrate these values in every aspect of their work. To be successful in this role, you should be able to demonstrate the following skills, experience and behaviour in line with these values.
Taking pride in achieving excellence. We take responsibility for and pride in what we do, recognising each other’s good work. We set consistently high expectations and ensure that everyone has the skills to achieve excellence.
• Shows energy and enthusiasm planning effectively to achieve personal and team objectives and is accountable for own work ensuring it meets expectations and agreed standards
• Works with colleagues to deliver the highest possible standards and ensures team understand expectations
• Enjoys exceeding expectations of customers and colleagues and responds to feedback
• Ensures team adhere to company policies, procedures and legislation
Valuing each other in the way we work, communicate and spend time together: We communicate regularly with each other, listening and understanding people’s needs. We value and respect the relationships we have with colleagues and partners and we celebrate shared successes.
• Friendly, welcoming and demonstrates interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy and the ability to liaise with a broad spectrum of people
• Works effectively in a team, offers support, encouragement, advice and develops strengths from others to form supportive relationships
• Celebrates achievement and shares success with others
• Contributes to department’s achievement of objectives in the time agreed
Being imaginative in everything we do: We use our knowledge, experience and judgement to explore doing things differently. We aim to empower everyone in the organisation to adopt a flexible, open-minded and imaginative approach.
• Listens to information and asks questions to improve knowledge
• Considers different options whilst making a decision and encourages team to share and discuss ideas whilst setting clear boundaries for the team to operate within
• Adapts approach to provide customers with an experience tailored to the purpose of their visit
• Is curious and willing to try new approaches to find the best way of doing something
Embracing the diversity among our people and community: We embrace and value difference and individuality treating everyone as equally important. Together we are stronger and more effective.
• Confidently welcomes and embraces people from all areas of the community/backgrounds and seeks out opportunities to increase engagement
• Adapts communication to suit individual needs and listens with empathy
• Engages with Theatre Royal Plymouth’s community activities and programmes
• Be willing to attend training sessions and communication meetings in line with TRP policies and procedures