Closing Date: 30 March 2020
Remuneration: £5000 Fee
This opportunity is intended to enable people from low-income backgrounds to pursue curatorial careers in the arts.
This is an open call for people looking to develop their practical curatorial and commissioning skills via a year-long placement at Film and Video Umbrella [FVU], delivered in partnership with John Hansard Gallery [JHG]. Through the year you will work with FVU and an artist of your choosing to develop and deliver a new moving image work for exhibition on the Digital Array at JHG from where it should have the potential to tour to subsequent venues that you work to secure over the course of the year.
What is the opportunity?
– £5,000 fee to act as curatorial lead and develop and deliver a newly commissioned moving image work by an artist of your choosing for exhibition at John Hansard Gallery, part of University of Southampton in 2021
– Basic commissioning budget of £10,000 inclusive of a £4,000 fee to the chosen artist (with potential for this to be expanded through additional fundraising)
– Year-long support from the FVU team, who will act as Producers of the work, as well as the JHG team who will work with you to present and develop audiences for the work.
– Four meetings with an external mentor of your choosing
– Desk space at FVU for a year
– Up to 10 days of research and development at JHG