Closing Date: 16 July 2020
Horniman Museum and Gardens
Location: 100 London Road, Forest Hill, London, SE23 3PQ
Remuneration: £29,848 pro rata (£30,457 pro rata after probation)
MAGNET (the Museums and Galleries Network for Exhibition Touring) is a newly established network of twelve museums and galleries who aim to pool resources, develop curatorial expertise and share their collections with diverse national audiences. MAGNET will do this by co-curating collections-based exhibitions with high-quality inter-disciplinary content designed to tour nationally.
Art Fund is supporting a pilot of the network for 18 months. This pilot will develop an exhibition, Hair: Untold Stories, which will open at the Horniman in late 2021 and then tour to Museums Sheffield and Tullie House in Carlisle. Working on a practical project with three partners will enable learning to be shared across all members of the network.
Main purpose of the job:
The role of the Co-ordinator is to set up the MAGNET network amongst the 12 partners; work with staff at the Horniman, Sheffield and Tullie to realise the pilot tour of ‘Hair’ exhibition; establish agreement on streamlined loan conditions, commercial contracts and courier and storage arrangements across the network; and prepare future exhibition proposals for the group which will be put forward for further funding.
The closing date for completed applications is 10am on the 16th July. Interviews will be held on 4th and 5th August 2020, most likely via Zoom video conferencing.
The Horniman Museum and Gardens is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Minimum Shortlisting Criteria
– A high level of literacy and numeracy (E)
– Demonstrated experience in the development of touring exhibitions in museums or galleries (E)
– Experience of working with networks or partnerships (E)
– Excellent project management skills (E)
Additional Shortlisting Criteria
– Able to work successfully as part of a team and on own initiative (E)
– Experience of working in a museum/gallery exhibitions or interpretation role (E)
Further Selection Criteria – to be tested at interview
Knowledge and experience
– Knowledge of the context and resources of UK museums outside London (D)
– Computer literate, with knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (E)
Skills and abilities
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of community groups and colleagues (E)
– Ability to work with close attention to detail and to maintain confidentiality (E)
– Ability to work professionally and tactfully, to represent the museum with a high level of integrity and professionalism, to adhere to Museum policies and to support management decisions in a positive, professional manner (E)
– Ability to assess and manage multiple competing priorities and work well under pressure: excellent time management, problem solving and analytical skills (E)
– Basic DBS check required
– Occasional travel (for example to our partners Sheffield Museums and Tullie House, Carlisle) will be required
For more information visit the Horniman website.