Closing Date: 31 March 2021
University College London (UCL) and Extant Theatre
Location: Remote UK based
Blind and partially sighted adults based in the UK are invited to apply to participate in this study.
WHAT IS THE STUDY ABOUT?
Thank you for your interest in the prop design study.
The study can be completed remotely and will take place between February and April 2021. We encourage you to register your interest by completing this background survey. We will contact you with more details about the study via email or phone, whichever preferred by you. This short set of questions is designed to quickly establish if you are the right candidate. It should take you around 10 minutes. You will be able to select a Prefer not to say option. Your responses will be kept confidential. The motivation for this study is to increase Blind and Partially Sighted (BPS) people’s interest in technical theatre and enable more BPS people to enter the workplace in the discipline of prop design within the Theatre, and possibly within TV and Film industry. We wish to explore what digital tools (i.e. accessible games) for prop creation can help both sighted and non-sighted people develop proposals for work in the area of prop design. It is important that we understand people’s experience and preference for the different styles of prop design learning and support tools.
The outcome of this study will help us develop tools and guidance that we can share with the theatre industry. The current project is a collaboration between the UCL and Extant Theatre as a part of an MSc research thesis.
This study is composed as a prop design work-based simulation where participants taking part in the design phase of this study go through a prop-design process experimenting with ideas whilst working in line with a professional design brief.
WHAT WILL I NEED TO DO?
Your participation would involve:
– Filling in a background survey.
– Meeting remotely with the researcher to discuss study ideas via online call using a free conversation application called Microsoft Teams.
– Working remotely on your prop design project. During the two hours, you will be inventing a prop idea for a theatre play. Since time is short, you will be working on your idea using a 1-2 page long concept design document listing design specifications and requirements. In your concept design document, you will present your basic prop idea and outline how to utilize the prop within the play, explaining and defending all choices made. Concept design documents are concise short descriptions of a prop idea, technique, methodology, or solution for specific problems in Technical Theatre Production. The document should use text and, or simple graphics to explain the design proposal as a response to the presented brief.
– Optionally, we can send you simple craft materials such as wax sticks, paper, pencil, and plasticine. You may use these to add a visual concept design to your prop design document, but only if you wish so.
– Prop design work won’t require any graphic design or digital design skills. Your idea and general understanding of how to go about designing your prop idea are the most important and we will not assess any mainstream standard level aesthetical and or grammatical elements of your work.
– Sharing with us your prop design related experience.
– You can schedule your two hour prop design activity until 20h March 2021 and send us your finished prop design concept until end of March 2021.
As a token of appreciation, you will be offered a £50. Also, you will be able to include this work experience in the work history on your cv.
WHERE AND WHEN IS THE STUDY?
The study can be completed remotely and will take place in March 2021. We encourage you to register your interest by completing the background survey. We will contact you with more details about the study via email or phone, whichever preferred by you.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Please email Maggie at email@example.com or call/text +44 7415659892 to register your interest.
A short set of questions is designed to quickly establish if you are the right candidate. It should take you around 10 minutes. You will be able to select a Prefer not to say option. Your responses will be kept confidential. Please click here to access the questions: Prop Design Pre Study Survey.
Thank you for your consideration.